Dunedin Technical's Andrew Coburn slotting the equaliser from the penalty spot in a 2-2 draw with Nomads United in the Southern Football League

Tech 2 Nomads United 2

Dark clouds dominated the skyline but any possible bad weather held off as Dunedin Technical hosted Nomads in the Sunday afternoon fixture at the Caledonian. Due to a gap in the fixture list because of the Chatham Cup this round seven match was able to be brought forward.

A 17th minute Taine Bayly header from a Danny Ledwith free kick meant that Technical led one nil at the break. However it had been a half with plenty of action which saw Nomads enjoying significant periods of control with some quality football being played. In the 31st minute Tech Keeper Tom Fitall saved a Stephen Hoyle penalty. For their part Tech had some opportunities but had to work hard to contain the free-flowing football that Nomads were playing.

Almost immediately after the restart a double strike by Stephen Hoyle allowed Nomads to take a 2-1 lead. At this point Dunedin Technical made some changes as they attempted to stay in the game and as the half progressed they were able to enjoy some spells of control. With five minutes to go Tech were rewarded for their efforts when Danny Ledwith was brought down in the box. Andy Coburn duly tucked away the resulting penalty. Both teams had chances to win the game in the last few minutes but neither side could convert them and the match finished 2-2.

Club Match reports

Prem Women

A fantastic performance from the Prem Women in the Kate Sheppard Knockout Cup in Christchurch. A 4-1 victory over Coastal Spirit has propelled the girls into the semi finals on the weekend of 25/26 August.

Today was a continuation of the form of the past 2 games with a dominant display that could have ended in a 6 or 7 goal victory.

It was very pleasing to come out of the blocks strong with Emily scoring in the 3rd minute followed by Kate in the 11th. Coastal got one back before halftime when keeper Jade slipped on the soft surface when bending to pick up the ball which dribbled under her body and into the goal. The second half was pretty much one way traffic with goals in the 57th to Kate and 75th to Ruby.

Fantastic performances from all players, player of the day though to the outstanding Shontelle Smith.

Shout out to all of the Tech supporters who made the journey to support the girls, to all of you who wished the girls well and a huge shout out to captain Coral Seath who played her 100th game.


Fletcher Cup

Great start to the first half, going 1 up in the first three minutes with Luke MacKay’s first goal for the club.

An improved performance from last weeks first-half, performance, with a few missed chances, some solid defending from Roslyn and a tough touch tight battle for seconds in midfield saw us winning the majority of turnover and looking to get ball forward.  Roslyn still looked dangerous however and were unlucky  not to equalise from a couple of chances off corners and looked dangerous on the counter.  We let ourselves down in the 44th minute, not to take anything away from Roslyn, but we made it easy for them to equalise by going to ground when we didn’t need to and opening up a big gap in our defence for the equaliser to come right before the half time whistle.

Rhys Quarrell came on at half time, back after injury,  and added some pace in our attack and also helped stretch the gap between the Roslyn defence and midfield allowing more balls to be played in behind them for him to run onto.  We started winning throws and corners in the Roslyn final third and from one of these an unmarked Elliot Jenkins (who everyone on both benches could see wasn’t being picked up) slotted our second away at the back post.

We went on looking for a third, Paddy Koppert being creative and combatative and Dome Rodpan coming on for Aaron Burgess  as a second striker.

However, Roslyn equalised through another attack cutting in from the left wing in a similar move to their first goal.

We then dominated the remaining 10 minutes of the game, looking for the winner but it was not to be.

Speaking with Robbie Oram after the game we both thought we had good chances, the opposite side defended well and we both felt unlucky not to have taken the win, so I guess that sums the game up.  Onwards.


Tech Whites

Played northern at Forrester started off well created some early chances wasn’t until 13th minute we got our first from there got on a roll scoring another 3 before half time with Suzie getting her hattrick in first hal. Conceded late goal to make it 4-1 halftime.

Second half carried on the same with the girls dominating scored another 3 to win 7-1. Goals Suzie 6 and Ingrid 1

Great result for the girls who all played really well superb team effort, great way to end second round.


President’s 11

Presidents XI back after 5 weeks due to deferred games and the uni holidays and they must have been training the whole time they were away as the effort put in was enormous and showed that they 4ths are finding some form to continue with in round 2.

Northern were first to score knocking a soft goal in behind the keeper. Dunedin Tech countered before the half equalising through a 35 meter goal by returning injury player Daniel Nancholas.

1-1 at half time the lads were told the team would not use there sub (me) unless necessary as there football looked great. Northern unfortunately put 3 past us with Tech answer with 1 of their own through Zac Mitchell-Beatson.

Our goal keeper Brendan left the game with a hamstring injury and we hope him all the best for a fast recover. Matthew Bray took the gloves and held the scoreline to 4-2. Player of the day being shared by the left and right backs Matt Flatt and Daniel Nancholas.


Colt 35s

One of the positives this year has been the willingness of individuals to turn out and help out when numbers are short. Today we had Riki (3rd week) and the old warhorse Dunny travelling from Central to pull on the Maroon.. add that to recent new signing Ross from Queenstown and Nic who is a cop travelling down aswell and it shows great commitment to the 35’s.
Today we battled hard against the unbeaten league leaders who gave us a tough encounter on a gardens pitch best described as atrocious.
Rob stepped into the keepers jersey and played well.. an entire new backline from last week were composed and fighting hard.. a strong middle 3 played some good footy and all across the park the ball played to feet looked good.. Reffing was good from both sides and as usual some contentious calls were accepted as befitting old fellas do. We went into HT 1 down after a scrappy play and gave another away midway through the 2nd half but in all we played pretty well against a younger side who should go on to retain their crown.


The Frotters

As the song goes “ he we go again”.  The Frotters took on Roslyn Moas at Culling Park. We managed to field 11 players agin, with the assistance of “G”. The Moas turned up with 16. (12 Moas and 4 from the Roslyn Colts who has a deferred game. The Frotters struck first with a goal from George Stamou. Several chances went begging in the first half. The second half was a battle with the Colts players taking the field and showed their dominance. Final score  was 2-1 to the Moas. Player of the day was Iain Davis.

Our Sponsors

  • Timeless
  • Pure Services
  • Lotto
  • Harcourts
  • Subway - Wellington Airport
  • House of Travel logo
  • ho Ate All The Pies | Handcrafted Gourmet Pies
  • Grid Coffee Roasters
  • The Muscle Mechanics
  • Preens - More than Drycleaning
  • Mad Butcher
  • Edgewater Resort, Rarotonga
  • The Lion Foundation
  • Back in Motion Physiotherapy & Pilates
  • Atiba